late hatchers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahen8622, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    Im a first time incubator and i have turned my eggs 3 times to 4 times a day everday i make sure there is water in the bottom ive kept a journal and candled religously but my eggs didnt hatch this sunday as they were predicted to (due to the 21 day count) whats wrong are they not going to hatch i have 3 more that was supposed to hatch today nad nothing HELP IM FRUSTRATED!

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Some times they just like to take there time!

3. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    lol i guess im too excited kinda like watching water when your trying to boil it huh lol , so how many days should i give them before its overdue and time to get rid of them?

4. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    Have you candled them?

5. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    yeah ive been candling theyre brown eggs and kinda hard for a first timer i saw movement all along and then the last week the egg wasnt showing much light thru it then he last day i candled and no light showed through i hope they make a break and come out and play veryvery soon

6. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    I would give them more time not sure how much I give quail 4 to 5 days

7. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    ok thanks! dnt want to rush the lil guys

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    It sounds like you may have been doing too much. Most people only candle 2-3 times, typically on the 7th and/or 14th day, and the 18th day before they close the incubator for the last time until the hatch is over.

It can be hard to leave them alone, but the chicks really do best if they aren't handled too much. It's easy for them to catch a chill when they're out of the cozy environment of the incubator, or even just opening the lid. However, with my first hatch I did about the same as you and still got a reasonable hatch, so keep your hopes up for a late hatch, it can happen. [​IMG]

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You say you've been adding water. But do you have a gauge in there telling you what your humidity is? How have your temps been?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by