Late hatchers

Ericaeliz

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2018
Hello. I have just joined and need advice. I had 35 chicks hatched a week ago. 4 eggs left with signs of life. This is 8 days past due date! Like day 29! 2 are pushing into air gap. Should I help them out at this stage. They aren't peeping and no pips..

Unless those eggs were set at a different time or they were in a "cold spot" in the incubator, they should have hatched by now. Try to get pics while your candling them, might be able to tell more about their status. IMHO, their (DIS) died in shell, judging by your statement that they have internally pipped but have gone no further.

I believe you and that's crazy. I probably wouldn't assist them. If they aren't strong enough to get out on their own they will probably have additional health issues. Do your best to give them ideal conditions and maybe they'll make it on their own. I think I have hot and cool spots in my incubator too. I need to shuffle the eggs a little more. I did it once and it didn't seem to be enough.

They are moving all over the air gap so not dis!!! I can promise I have done so many hatches I know when they are alive! I just never saw eggs alive after 29 days

That is very crazy that they're so late but still alive. That's why I was asking if there was any chance at all that they might be duck eggs. Are these eggs from your own birds, or did you order them from someone and they might have accidentally sent the wrong eggs?

That is very crazy that they're so late but still alive. That's why I was asking if there was any chance at all that they might be duck eggs. Are these eggs from your own birds, or did you order them from someone and they might have accidentally sent the wrong eggs?
I agree with @Pyxis , that is crazy, that incubation time span would suggest either duck or peafowl eggs. I don't have a clue anymore.

It's easy to make a mistake and set the wrong kind of eggs. I have a friend that has both silkies and Call ducks, and she one time sent a silkie egg to a customer with an order of Call duck eggs because they are the same size and look similar. A similar thing might have happened here, if you ordered these eggs or if they're from your own birds and you also have ducks or peafowl, or guineas, since guineas can also take 28 days to hatch.

I’m especially amazed if using a Brinsea. Even my Eco is near perfect all around. I guess it’s possible that one side or one thread of the heater wire is weak and putting off less heat. :confused:

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom