Late Hatching and mail order eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2wheelsdaily, Sep 10, 2011.

1. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    Had 41 mail order eggs in the incubator, from 2 different breeders. All arrived well packed and in good condition appearance wise. On day 21 nothing happened, Day 22 once hatched. Today is day 23 and I had one more hatch and one pip. Still holding out hope some more will hatch. I am afraid this is going to be a very expensive 3 chickens. I am assuming my thermometer might show higher temps that reality and the incubator was actually a little cool. The 2 that hatched are very healthy looking though.
    Not a knock on the breeders, of course they have no control over how the eggs are handled after they leave their hands. I was hoping since all of the eggs only came from about 280 miles their chances of hatching would be pretty good.
    I didn't candle or anything so I don't know how fertile they were, I have no reason to doubt the statements from the breeds about the high rate of fertility of their eggs.

I think it's just tough to hatch chickens from eggs that have gone through the post office. Sure wish I had some Silkie breeders closer by.

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I set 2 dozen that traveled 2600 miles and only 2 have veins. If I can hatch the 2 and get at least one pullet it is worth it to me.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

late hatch would be because of the incubation temps being too low.. wouldnt have anything to do with the eggs being shipped

4. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well I took the first one that hatched and put with my broody Silkie. She will be a good mother.
    [​IMG][/img]

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I recandled the eggs this week and there is 17-18 that are growing. I must of candled to soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by