late hatching chick...a lot of blood ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedReiner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    my last chick pipped this morning, I was going to toss the unhatched eggs last night but gave them one more day. day 23 it pipped sometime during the night. waited all day watching it and it finally stopped moving a little while ago, it never made much of a pip hole. I figured it was going to die either way so I helped it, when I cracked the shell on the edge of the pip there was a lot of blood. I carefully chipped off just the shell and the outer membrane, and the inner one was dried to its head so he could not turn its head. I soaked it out of the membrane but there was a lot of blood...no idea where that came from but of course, some of it went in his nose. he has been out for about 2 hours now, still fighting. he is drying off but his umbilical cord is still attached. where would the blood come from ? anything I can give him to help him?

ETA I just checked on him and dang if he isnt standing/sitting up peeping like mad! still weak though

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Most likely the chick won't make it from my experience but I have to try too and I have had some miracle chicks. I would just keep it warm for now.

3. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    amazingly, it is running around in the bator, playing soccer with the egg that didnt hatch. clumsy and newborn weak but its up and about and drying off.

4. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Keeping my fingers crossed for the little one.

5. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    still hanging in there. learning to walk and all that. its lonely...and tries to hide in my hand. I feel bad for it now. cant put it in with the other ones yet. I gave it a teddy bear to hide under. a little crushed food and a tiny lid with water. will see in the morning how its doing. it can have some scrambled eggs with me for breakfast. think good thoughts, its a big blue English orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by