Late on bringing you up to speed, but there are eggs in my bators! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4H kids and mom, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    You know I HAD to do it! [​IMG] So, (to catch you all up to date) I got the bators (HovaBators with egg turners) from my DH's grandad and hooked them up. Everything worked. Filled the first water tray, put the water weasel in with probe in the center, got the very best ($22) digital thermometer & humidity thingy and set it all up. Temp holds steady at 100, humidity at 60%.

Looks on track so I call up a neighbor who has fertile eggs and ask if I can 'borrow' a few to try out the bators. She knows nothing about chickens other than they lay eggs, so I tell her to make sure they are freshly laid and not to chill them, and she brings them out the next morning.

Bators are already on and warm, so after letting the eggs settle for an hour to reach room temp, I put them in. She brought 14 eggs in total so I put them all in the bator I trust best (other one has a flaw with the bottom styrofoam tray, but was fixed and still holds temp, but I wanted to be sure.) and let them be. This was 11 days ago. (I know, shame on me for not tellin you sooner. <Hangs head shamefully> )

Anywho, when they got to day 9 or so I candled them. All but 2 look great. Good development going! BUT, four of them looked MUCH further along than the rest. Lots of shadow, good air cell, movement? (I think it moved in my hands anyway), and the 'shadowing' did appear to shift possition while I candled it (moving chick?) So, I became worried that these eggs were way further along than the rest, and what to do?

I talked to Barb S and from everything I've read on here even before getting started, those 4 appear closer to day 18! I think my neighbor (from what she said about two hens always in the nestbox) had a couple broodies hiding eggs and she didnt know it when she collected mine, and grabbed those up too. I worried they would hatch in the bator with the egg turner and get crushed. SO...I put those 4 (and 2 others that appear more developed) in the other bator without the egg turner, and increased their humidity to 70%. I am no longer opening that bator, though the suspence is killing me! I hope I'm doing OK so far! Please let me know!

So, I have possibly 4 eggs due to hatch in a few days, 2 eggs that may hatch shortly after that, and then the remaining 8 in the other bator that look around day 11 now where they should be. I have the 4 "maybe-gonna-hatch-soon" eggs on one side of that bator with the other 2 on the other side so that should the 4 hatch, they don't muck up or roll around the other 2. Is that good?

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing, other than what I've read here and online, and the manual for the bators that I had to download as a PDF because DH's grandad no longer had it.

Ok, so now you are up to date! Is there anything I should do differently? Or am I on track here? Of course, I will post here as updates happen! And I promise not to with hold info again, if you promise not to beat me too hard for doing it this time! [​IMG]

PS...she (my neighbor) has no idea what breeds she has, and no doubt these are all crosses and her whole flock mingles together. The eggs consist of: 3 blue/green, 2 white, 3 light tan, 1 darker tan/beige, 2 brown, 1 darker brown, and 2 tannish with darker speckles. The 4 that are 'older' are the: 1 darker brown, 1 tannish with darker speckles, 1 white, and 1 blue/green. The 2 that are right behind those are: 1 blue/green, and 1 light tan.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] You bad, bad girl (for holding information)!!! Just kidding! [​IMG] Wow, I don't know how you keep up with everything going on around your place!! Anyway, it sounds like you're doing everything right (but I'm no expert)! Will be waiting with bated breath to hear how things go. [​IMG]

Ellen

3. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I don't know how you keep up with everything going on around your place!!

Somedays I don't! [​IMG] But, I am ending my day care very soon and moving into doing the 'chicken thing' full time here, so I have more time lately. [​IMG] DH is eager for me to try my hands at breeding and selling chicks from good healthy stock. [​IMG] So, we'll see how the hatch goes and I'll make adjustments as needed. Glad to hear I'm on track, or at least you THINK I'm on track..lol [​IMG] And, I fully deserved that slap!​

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Okay no more late updates!!!!

We are anxiously awaiting.

jackie

5. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well, then I suppose I should tell you that I swear I heard a peep from one of the oldest eggs early today, but I can't be sure. I peeped back at the bator for a half hour but heard nothing else. I will deffinately keep you all posted though!

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well.....shame on you for not telling sooner! LOL Now I am excited for you! Sounds like you will have your hands full once again...still....forever!! LOL
    Does the nabor want the chicks back when they hatch?? Of course, we will want pics!! Great going......now I am on edge!

7. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Nope they don't need or want the chicks. [​IMG] And since I'm up to my eyeballs on chickens already, I've promised all or most of them to Barb, though I might keep the blue/green egg ones if they hatch. [​IMG] Plus, I think I thrive on stress or something. I crave it lol. The more the merrier I say! [​IMG]

UPDATE! One of the eggs is pipping! I wasn't sure earlier because it just looked like a little dot, but it progressively got bigger through the day and now its an actual CRACK not just the hole! This is one of the older 4 and its a light tannish one with darker brown speckles. I have no idea what kind of chicken it will be and I'm sooooooo egg-cited! [​IMG] I want to open the bator SO bad! But, I am restraining myself! lol

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    OH, hopefully you will have a baby chick in the morning.

keep us posted.

jackie

9. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Yay!! Babies!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Keep us posted, and of course, we want pics!!

Jess
    (my chicks are due to arrive in the mail Friday and I sooooooooo can't wait)

10. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    You're not gonna get a wink of sleep tonite!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by