Late Season Hatchers

chicky_family

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
new york
I've had chickens for over 15 years. It's a very well diversified flock. I've never allowed our hens to hatch due to my family's schedule. Well we had a hen show up with 8 babies on November 4th of 2018. Winter is upon us in the north east of the USA. So we've had them all inside since then. Babies are doing great have 2 roosters for sure, lol. We don't heat our coop, have 30+ chickens and ducks together. Just use a heating lamp for waterer when the days get and stay below freezing. Now onto my main question..Mama was a picked on hen that's been very territorial prior to babies. When can I remove the Mama from her babies permanently so she can go back outside? Babies will remain inside through the winter as they won't survive our winter predators, and weather. The babies will go outside late March early April once I know they've bulked up to survive cold snaps. TIA for all the help.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Could remove mama at any time.....it's integrating her as a single bird into the flock that could be a problem.
You're really going to to keep 8 chicken inside your house all winter?

chicky_family

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
new york
I'm planning on putting her in at night to avoid too much chaos.
Keeping babies inside is the plan. Our coop is good for mature birds but I fear for the safety of the little ones has we have 3 roosters in coop.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Putting her in at night will avoid chaos in the dark,
but might be a different story come morning.

Integration viewpoints and techniques have changed much just in the 6 years I've been here. Most folks would have let that broody bring her chicks right back into the flock when she showed up with them. I keep my broodies separated by wire until 1 week after hatch, then let them back with flock.

Hope your plan works out, but if it doesn't here's some info on integration that might help you out.

I, and many others, integrate chicks at 4 weeks after brooding them in the coop from 1 week old.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Here's some info on integrating a single bird:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

[email protected]

~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~
Aug 18, 2017
Caliente Nevada
:goodpost:Her flock may attack her. I agree fence off a little area where they can see each other yet be safe.
Even if you have a nice flock the disruption to the pecking order IS going to happen. IMHO be as patient as possible don’t rush. Best wishes

Top Bottom