Late season peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by flyingmonkeypoop, Aug 26, 2008.

1. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Has anyone gotten peachicks this late in the season? We have a trio of peafowl, a pair of Nepalese and a normal india blue hen. The Nepalese hen hatched chicks in May and they are all feathered out. When I was out planting some new plants in the duck pen I heard peeping so I looked over and there was the indian hen with 4 little chicks, they look like they are maybe 3 days old. They are much lighter colored than the pure nepalese chicks. I am almost worried that they wont be feathered out enough by the time the snow flies. We normally get our first snow in October so the chicks would be about a month and a half to two months old by then. Will the peahen keep them warm enough or will they get too cold?

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I guess if it gets too cold, you may have to find a warmer environment for them, or make some kind of heated brooder area. I've wondered the same thing myself because my turkey has a huge nest of eggs she's about to start setting on...

3. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Congrats on the little guys..

I'd make them an area with a heat lamp if it starts getting that cold.

And good luck with them... If they weren't so high in price, I'd like to get couple of those beauties.. They are so beautiful.. [​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Late season chicks are possible, however a lot of owners try not to let any hatch late, especially in cold winter areas where they would need much care through the winters. In mild winter areas, not that much of a big deal however these sometimes can turn out to be late season breeders- as in starting to lay late in the year instead of earlier.

What's a Nepalese? Never heard of such a thing in peafowl.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Depend on the peahen,but most will keep the peachicks warm.

Most peacocks drop their trains before end of August. Nature way of keeping from having late hatch peachick. Peacock are not fertile after dropping their train.

Also never hear of a nepalese peafowl???

6. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    what a wonderful suprise...i am in georgia so mine will do good in the winter it is mild here. but if you are in cold country i would make a place for them with a light...just to be safe....ronnie:yiipchick

7. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Nepalese peafowl are a strain of indian blue. A breeder friend on GBWF-Kermit helped me figure it out based on some pics and through tracing back families. It all started when we had a pair of indian blues but the male died. We went to a horse breeder that had some for sale. His flock was all based from one pair about 30 years ago, he had a couple hundred birds. Almost all of the females had the lacing on the whole front. We got a pair from him and the males barring is different and the female has lacing all the way down. Kermit said that when he was growing up on a ranch in Nevada the rancher had imported some nepalese peafowl and was one of the only people with them. They are darker overall.
    Here are some pics, I dont have any of the plain indian blue but you can probably find some online to compare them to.

The male

[​IMG]

The female

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Have had hens with the extra lacing, so someone put a name on them.
    The United Peafowl Association approved 185 varieties. Thats one did not make the list.
    Know there is one with more lacing in The Blackshoulder pattern, someone name it Siepel.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  9. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    From what I have found, they are from Nepal and are a sub species, they tend to live higher in the mountains that the normal india blues.

10. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Also, do they have a list of all the varieties? It would be interesting to see them. That is alot of varieties for peafowl, I thought there were alot of chicken colors lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by