1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Late Sleepers. Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Slotred, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    My four 10-week old Australorp hens stay on the roost in their coop until 10 o'clock many days, and most of the time they don't come down until after 9:00. Is that normal? They put themselves to bed at 8:00 (you can set your clock by them) but they stay on the roost late in the morning. I thought they were afraid to jump down from their favorite roosting pole, which is up abut 4-feet, so I built them a little ladder and they still stay on the roost until very late.
    They also seem to be going through teenage rebellion. They used to all jump up in my lap and on my head, but now that they are allowed to free range for a couple of hours a day (with me with them) they don't want to be held. I suppose that is sorta normal, but I want them to be pets as they grow older.
    Comments?

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Well first let me say you are lucky they want to stay in late. Mine are ranting at 6 am to be let out.[​IMG] As far as not wanting to be held when free ranging that is perfectly normal. Mine use to like to jump in my lap all the time. Now that they are older, the only time they want to be that close is when I have treats.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by