Late vaccination

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mak24456, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Hi all! Last week we hatched out 3 healthy chicks from a homemade incubator. They are a week old as of today. Only today did I remember about vaccinations. Marek's, in particular. A horrible newbie mistake, I guess. We have 3 older pullets outside, who were hatchery vaccinated when we got them. Everywhere I look recommends vaccinating chicks within 24 hours, and a lot say it is completely ineffective if done later.

I'm looking for opinions on how effective a vaccination at 1 week would be? Either way we will be getting the vaccine from our feed store to vaccinate them ourselves tomorrow, but I'd like a heads up to know how much it is really helping. Would a follow up increase immunity chances? A slightly bigger dose? I'd love some advice from you guys! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would think that it is too late to vaccinate them for Mareks since they have been in your environment already, but I would not worry. My first chickens were vaccinated at their hatchery, and later I hatchd chicks for several years with no problems or Mareks. Feed stores do not sell Mareks vaccine, but you can get it in 1000 dose vials from several online stores, but it apparently is not equal to the one used by hatcheries. If it would make you feel better to vaccinate them, go ahead. Be sure and read the info about extra charges for coolers and shipping which increases the price. Here is one store that sells it:
    https://www.jefferspet.com/products...iQLZGpRg0FnSpYvRib8LZ_MPHgHIab-Qg0aAs2z8P8HAQ

Here is a link about giving vaccination: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/377/small-flock-vaccination/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Our local feed store actually carries it, I called them and asked :D
    Is the reason for the 1 day window for vaccinating because the virus is everywhere and will get to them any later no matter what? Or is it because for some reason, it just doesn't work on chicks that are older?

4. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    To clarify, what is the reason for within the 24 hours only?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe the 24 hour window is because it is a live virus you will be giving? Doing so the first 24 hours they can build immunity...After that it is not as effective....My understanding of the vaccine anyways......Here we can not buy the vaccine....Only Hatcheries have it...

Cheers!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Call the vaccine manufacturer and ask. Mary

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The reason is to assure that they won't be exposed to the Mareks herpes virus, since it is assumed to be practically anywhere. Still, it takes at least 2 weeks or slightly more for the chick to achieve full immunity. Once they have been outside the hatchery, it is always a possibility that they could somehow be infected. Mareks vaccines are always a controversial issue. Many feel that they don't want their chickens vaccinated so chickens will develop a "natural immunity," but I kind of feel that if it is offered at the hatchery or I can give it later, they have a better chance of not getting the disease. There are a couple of ongoing threads where people discuss Mareks in their flocks and how they deal with it, including vaccination of future chickens. Here are a couple of them if you wish to look at them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/894589/moving-forward-breeding-for-resistance-to-mareks-disease
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by