"later" egg now peeping, broody hen's babies are more than 1 week old

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by siouxbee, Aug 3, 2008.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    our hens were sneaky about getting other eggs underneath the broody hen while she was still in the henhouse. She hatched out 7 chicks over the course of two days last Thursday (so almost a week and a half ago).

Three eggs that had been placed in the nest later (I marked the original batch) obviously did not hatch with the rest of the crew. So we stuck them in a makeshift (originally posted as "nonsense" oops ;-) incubator. And despite the fact that our humidity and temperature have not been ideal, one of the three is now peeping.

Should I put it under the hen? Will she hurt it instead? I'd really like the hen to take it under her wing, but I'm just not sure what I should do here.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Sioux

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    The typo makes me laugh!!!

3. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    thanks for the heads up. It took me a few re-reads to figure out where exactly the typo was...

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I wish I had seen that "type" of incubator. I totally missed it the first time.
    Krista
    sorry I am no help, no hens of laying age yet [​IMG]

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    now thats funny hehe. i would just let it hatch in ur bator if and when it hatches u mite borrow one of the broodys babies to keep it company. they should get along in a brooder

6. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    It depends on if you hen is a "super momma" or not. A super momma will adopt anything when she is in mother mode. For the safety of the chick, you would have to put the momma and babies in their own pen and place a small brooder and light inside the pen for the chick and see if your momma shows interest in the chick in the box. I wouldn't leave them alone until I had seen the momma take the baby in. If she does "adopt" the baby, I would leave them penned up for a few days, to give baby a chance to get strong enough to keep up.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had a broody that hatched her 7 eggs, then I hatched 6 or 7 silkies and 1 barred rock, a friend took the silkies so I gave her the 1 barred rock that was all alone !!! he was about 3 days old and the nest were about 1 - 2 weeks, it was nice out so I knew he would be warm, she took him as her own (well I dont think she even noticed she had 8 instead of 7. So as long as its nice out and she accepts him, sure why not. I would wait a day or 2 and make sure he's eating and drinking and stuff and then put him out there, also keep on eye on them for a little while. I did it at night and just stuck him under her with the others and he didn't move and she didnt know !!! I think it also depends on your hen, silkies will mother anything, at least mine !!! Would be nice if he had brothers and sisters and wasn't alone, thats why I did it I felt bad that he was alone. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by