Latest craigslist find! Pic heavy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jetiki, May 9, 2011.

1. Jetiki

Jetiki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    Found ad for Coop on Craigslist on Friday, looked at it Saturday, had it hauled to my house today. Now without further ado, here is it.

Question? Do I need to paint it, he said the outside was cedar? I know I need to build ramps to the pop doors and I need to get the straw out of there, but its pretty much a finished product and its 8ft wide, 8ft long and I am not sure how tall but that thing is tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karen

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice score! Is it moveable or the wheels just temporary?

3. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Nice find, if it is Cedar, you should not paint it. It will age nicely...

4. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] OMG, you lucky girl~that's awsome! As for paint? It depends on what YOU like. If you like the looks of the cedar, then keep it. If you want color, paint. Personally I like both so I'm torn, lol. How many chickens do you have?

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I would treat it with thompsons water seal just to keep it in good shape [​IMG]

6. amylou22

amylou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:This, exactly.

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I know you aren't supposed to use cedar shavings for chicks - is it safe fore adults?

8. Jetiki

Jul 23, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    It is moveable, but I don't plan on moving it unless we decide to relocate the girls somewhere else on the property. It made it so nice to roll up on the tow truck though to get it home with the wheels. I have about 30 with 3 banty hens sitting on eggs we'll see what hatches [​IMG]

This was my mother's day present. I am so excited, the other coop we have, we built it with scraps that we had around the house. at 5'1 I can't stand up in it this will be so much better. Think I will leave it alone paint wise for now.

Karen

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW !! That is beautiful! I love the look. I agree with lamike. I would not paint it but that's just me.

10. Jetiki

Jul 23, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    its weathered cedar, you can't smell the cedar, not sure its really cedar in my opinion. The walls on the inside have been painted. I may paint what I can of the inside to be safe.

Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by