1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Latest hatch already a bust! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Well I must have a serious issue with my bator. Either I have a defective bator or a nasty little bacteria in there. I set 32 of my own eggs, candled tonight on day 10. 4 were clear, 6 developing and 22 blood rings! Second hatch in a row with that had large number of eggs with blood spots or rings.

I soaked the bator with bleach, scrubbed it, rinsed and let dry. Not sure what else to do.

2. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I am so sorry to hear. Check to make sure it isnt your source of eggs. Are you buying them from someone?

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Let us know what you learn.

4. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    They were from eggs from my own hens. Wonder if collecting in the cold weather has any affect? If the eggs got too cold before I collected them?

It was in the sixties today, so placed a full dozen collected today to see if the outside temps are playing any role.

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    How old are your hens? Are they young and healthy?

6. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Yes all young and healthy. Been laying for around 3 months now. Last hatch, I had mostly shipped eggs and around a dozen or so of my own. Mine were the only ones that hatched last time. 6 hatched.

7. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Maybe your hens are ill? Thats my only guess at this point

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know how your incubator has been running, but a temp spike in the first few days will kill the chicks and turn into blood rings. Maybe you need a new thermometer (or two)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by