Latest NY Times Article: "When the Problems Come Home to Roost"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by szone, Oct 23, 2009.

1. szone

szone New Egg

Oct 23, 2009
  2. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Three words (sorta)

Berkley
    and
    NY Times

Goverment control...period.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Gee, you would have thought that the reporter could have talked to a few people successful with chickens and written a balanced article. But, yea, that's too much to expect from the NY Times (or most media outlets for that matter).

4. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    There has to be some happy mediums, and of course, happy chicken owners and neighbors, otherwise backyard chickens won't work. After six months and lots of 'redos' on the henhouse and run situation, I'm very happy with the decision - but now as winter begins to set in, I wonder how I'll feel in March or April? Cold months will be a challenge. So far, I've been very fortunate or blessed. No loss, no horror stories. But it did take me 3 weeks to rehome my three unplanned roosters.

Three dogs and eight chickens make for a happy kingdom. I have my large, covered run inside an 8-foot-high fence and my larger dog seems to like her new role as guard dog just in case something makes it over the fence. I have large blocks of concrete - and in one corner - broken glass - on the outside of the chain link fence near the run, just in case.

Interesting sidenote, the chicken folks over at Murdoch's are anticipating just as much demain for baby chicks next spring as last, and they say the larger chick producers are, too.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Well, there are always people who don't do their homework before they buy an animal and then give up when they realize what's involved. If anyone is discouraged from getting chickens by reading this article, I'd say that's a good thing. They probably would have ended up being one of those people "dumping" their chickens down the road.

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, I agree. I wish the negatives were listed in all the other news articles I have read. Not everyone is responsible pet owners, regardless of the species. Not all neighbors are cool with it, whether it is legal or not. I am glad the article mentions some of the dark side of chickens in the city.

The NYTimes has had other positive articles on keeping chickens in past.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    so it is the chicken's fault the owners are dingbats?

---stupid writers without real news--- go cover a war or congressman's abs or something.

8. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Well! All I can say is, "Thank God for BYC!"

I've had chickens off and on for years. Off right now, about to be on again. I've learned more in two months of surfing this website than I ever did in all the past years.

People gotta do the homework before they get anything that lives and breathes. Including children.[​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by