Latest you've discovered a silkie was a roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teach1rusl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I KNOW my little blue 23 week old silkie is a pullet. Well...I'm almost positive. There's almost no comb, her legs are pretty slim, and there's been no crowing (no eggs either - but I've read that can take a while w/silkies). She LOOKS quite dainty. I don't notice any obvious streamers either...
    Buttttt....she's always held herself very upright (vertical) - I swear I think she's part giraffe. She's quite assertive around my big girls when it comes to food. And... she sometimes runs up on me from behind and takes tiny pecks of my feet when I'm walking away (which reminds me of a little silkie cockerel I had).

Soooo...I was wondering of those you with silkies: What's the latest you've discovered that a supposed pullet was actually a cockerel??

I know silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, so I'm not asking you to judge/guess. But here's a pic from a few weeks ago of the little sweety in question...just hatchery stock, but I think she's pretty. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She looks like a girl to me, she may just be more dominant than the other hens, which might explain the way she carries herself.

3. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    I have a blue Silkie that looked very pullet and had no streamers until 6 months old!!! I had never had one trick me for so long and havent since. It was alright though, he is worth keeping. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by