Latex eggshell or what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WILDBACK40, Apr 1, 2009.

1. WILDBACK40

WILDBACK40 New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Hey everybody this is wildback40 new to the forum raising chickens for a year. Had a hen lay this morning and the shell looked like and felt like latex. Anybody know what could cause that?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Not enough calcium. Hens should always have oyster shell available and be feed layer food.

3. WILDBACK40

WILDBACK40 New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Rebecca thanks for answering, I feed my hens layer crumbles 16%, and have free choice grit and oyster shell available also. Congratulations on your Rooster!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This post is extrememly funny with the changes made to the word e g g.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome! Sorry about the computer server issues we are having today!

If you give them treats and goodies or they free range, often the 16% layer isn't quite enough calcium. Also, sometimes they just lay a "dud". Good luck!

7. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Hmm, well then it is probably a fluke. Our hen recently skipped one day and the next laid one e g g in the morning like usual and then in the afternoon, she laid a shelless one in the middle of the driveway [​IMG] She seemed as surprised as we were [​IMG] I guess she was backed up [​IMG]

8. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Quote:On the first part, I'm thinkin' that instead of Y2K, it's M4/1.

About the e g g, new layers sometimes do wierd things before the e g g plumbing gets worked out.

Calcium in the form of oyster and/or e g g shells should be offered free choice.

9. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Maybe we should all get latex roosters, it would be a lot more quiet around [​IMG]

10. WILDBACK40

WILDBACK40 New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Thank you all for the replies I'm thinking it was just a fluke. And I'm going to check out the link Wynette posted for me. But ya know when ya don't have problems and all the sudden something like that happens ya start searchin for explanation before there's more problems. I have a barred rock thats loosing feathers at one year don't know if she layed the e g g or not but I've watched her for hours and she just keeps dropping feathers and I'm thinkin she's a little early for molt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by