1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    I'm just finishing up the indoor coop in my shed...can I use regular interior latex paint on a wall that's currently plain drywall?

How about on the floor of the coop, and some of the surrounding wood?

I have regular interior latex, alkyd, thompson's water seal, and some urethane wood sealer.

Which should I use?

thanks

Heather=^..^=

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My chickens peck and eat drywall. I would really suggest that anything possibly accessible to chickens be plywood or such.

I'd use exterior latex, myself, but interior should be more or less ok (especially if it happens to be semigloss). PRIME FIRST. For real, it makes a considerable difference.

The other things you name will remain "fume-y" for longer IME. If you won't be putting chickens in there for some weeks, though, and can kick chickens out for a few days if you ever need to re-coat in future years, then any of them is fine.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Thanks so much Pat. I am planning on putting the chickens in there ASAP as they're currently housed in some rabbit cages, awaiting their new coop at their new home. So, interior latex it is.

How high up does the plywood need to go to prevent pecking and eating the drywall? Beak height? I totally just ran out of plywood too...so I'll have to see what else I can scrape up.

What about window screening?...I've got some of that

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I'm using exterior latex myself, just in case I get a wild hair and want to hose it out when I clean. I'm priming some of my house as we speak.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    my interior is primed and getting a coat of semi gloss latex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by