Latex paint on floor or linoleum?

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Quick question. We apparently can't find the piece of linoleum we had planned on using. Will a latex paint work almost as well or should we really try to get a scrap of linoleum?

I'm planning on using linoleum tiles from HD. I have found some nice ones there for less than $1/sq foot.

Sorry I don't know the answer about your paint. I've Kiltz'd floors before, to cover smell and prime them, but I am not too sure about types of other paint.

Last edited:
I used vinyl flooring on mine. But if you are going to paint it, use gloss or high gloss latex and do 3-4 coats. Watch H/D for mistinted paints. They often mark them down to $5 a can. After all, it doesn't matter what color you paint it, it is going to be covered in bedding and chicken poop anyway.
big_smile.png
Have fun.

Ideally I would like to use linoelum/vinyl flooring. I thought we had a nice leftover piece from our laundry room, but we can't seem to find it anywhere. I was trying not to spend $35 just on the linoleum. We still have a few stores to see if they have any scraps, but no luck so far.

I did get that paint at Home Depot for $5. So I was going to do the inside with it, which is why I wondering if I can't find the linoleum to just use that on the floor too.

i used mis tint latex paint all over my coop floors walls everywhere... 2+ years later and still holding
fl.gif

my temps range between -20*C in the winter to +25(Ish)*C in the summer

We painted. We were going to add linoleum on top of that (and I even have a piece already) but wasn't sure if moisture would seep underneath the linoleum and become trapped there. We may still add it someday if we end up needing to.

I purchased one of my coops used and they had lino tiles in it. They were in really bad shape, coming up, and layers were peeling. Not sure if it was the product or their skills in laying it. My other coop I painted with exterior (low fume) paint and it works nice and looks nicer.

~Julie

I know you asked an either/or question, but I just left the floor of mine the unfinished plywood...with a good layering of wood shavings over it. With daily scooping of the big wet clumps of poop that miss the poop board and some shakes of DE the floor has stayed clean and dry. (It's a small coop with just four birds)

Back
Top Bottom