Lathargic 1 year old hen - please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tyjaco, Jun 12, 2011.

1. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Hi-
    I have a New Hampshire Red who is a little over one year old. She has been very healthy until a few days ago.
    I'm not sure of her weight, although she wasn't very "plump" to begin with.
    I noticed her sypmtons first on Thursday, although I was gone all day Wednesday, and they were locked in their run all day which is very unusual for them.
    I have 4 other birds who all seem normal (except one hasn't laid since December, but that's for another post).
    There is no sign of trauma, no bleeding.
    She has been sleeping standing up. She eventually squats. She is puffed. When she opens her eyes, they look faily bright.
    Her comb and wattles look red, but not as vibrant as usual.
    She still has some strength since she fought me while trying to treat her tonight.
    Her poop is green and runny, with some white in it. She isn't pooping very much.
    I did see her drink on her own yesterday, and she climbed the ramp (2 feet) up to her coop.
    So far, I have brought her inside at night (in a large dog crate). I gave her vitamin/electrolyte water the on Thursday, but I found she had access to other water, so that was pointless.
    Last night, I squeezed a little water with tetracycline into her beek (maybe 3ml).
    Tonight, I have given her about 6 ml of tetracycline water & 5 meal worms - which I rolled in probiotics (over the course of the evening).
    I have felt for egg-binding (but I don't feel anything), and her crop in EMPTY - all I feel is bone.
    Please let me know what you think, or if you can offer any advice. I can't put her to sleep myself, but if she's suffering beyond hope, I will her her humanly euthanized.
    I'd really like to help her get better, but I cannot afford a Vet bill.

Thank you so much...

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her for lice/mites. Then worm her.

3. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Thank you Dawg53!
    I checked her, and don't see any mice/lice, or any indication of either. (HOPE I know what I'm looking for).

Since she is not drinking on her own anymore, I used a syringe and gave her about 5 ml of piperazine/water solution directly
    down her throat (actually into her beak, and she swallows).

Is that the right thing to do? I wasn't sure how much I should pump in - she was gettiong angry...
    How often should I do this? Do you think it's too late for her (based on her symptoms), or could she still pull through?

Thank you again SO much for your input!
    I appreciate the help.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Thank you ddawn!
    After reading this, I am sure she isn't invested. Her feathers look nice and clean all along.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hopefully she will drink the medicated water on her own, if not, continue with the syringe. I also recommend that you place her in a container of warm water, about halfway up her sides. Then gently massage her underside for about 15-20 minutes. She could be eggbound. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help move an egg along. Put a little olive oil just inside and outside her vent to help her lay the egg.

7. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    OK...I can try that. I have been feeling her underside for anything that seems eggish, but I don't feel anything (yet). I did insert my finger in her vent (about an inch) and didn't contact anything hard. She's pretty plyable all around.
    I'll try anything to help the poor girl.
    How often should I syringe her? Every couple of hours I was thinking (to keep her hydrated), but I don't want to overdo the wormer...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You wont overdo it with wazine water. You have to discard it in 24 hours, then replace with regular freshwater. Be careful not to get any into her lungs, it's best if she swallows it on her own. You dont want her to aspirate. Keep an eye on her feces if you see any worms being excreted, that would indicated she had an infestation. If she has worms, you should see improvement in about 3-4 days.

9. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Again, thank you.
    It seems like there might be a slight discharge from her ears...?
    Not much, but her tiny feathers around her ears seem a little crusty.

I have her isolated in the yard, with her food (not that she's eating), and her wazine water, and her
    dog crate with bedding.

Her flock mates are hanging around next to her little fence. I think they miss her.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ear discharge could be several problems: It could indicate ear mites, but she would most likely be scratching her ears most of the time. It could be a bacterial infection or it could possibly indicate a respiratory infection.
    I recommend that you gently clean her ears with a Q-tip as best as you can. You might have to remove some of the cotton from the tip to do it. Next, use a syringe(without needle) or an eyedropper and put undiluted hydrogen peroxide in both ears til they fill, but dont force it in. The peroxide will probably bubble up which is ok. Use a Q-tips to soak up the peroxide. Then pack both ears with neosporin (without pain reliever) and leave the ears alone. You might have to repeat this procedure one more time if you see discharge again, maybe not...but this procedure will clear her ears up. Additionally, if she does have ear mites, the neosporin ointment will smother them.
    Before you start, you might want to use an old towel to wrap it around her snugly to keep her from flapping her wings and squirming around. Another person can hold her down on her side and with her head poking out of the towel, you'll be able to work on her ears. Once your done with one ear, just flip her over and do the other ear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by