Lathargic 2 week old Silkie chick, need some advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k2chickens, Jan 4, 2011.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Well didn't have a very good hatch a few weeks back, 1 millie d'uccle chick and one splash silkie chick hatched out of 8 or so lockdown eggs. Didn't have any shaving's the next day but i did have some shredded up news paper so i used that for bedding until recently. Always had fresh water and purina chick feed, was growing nice and fat until recently.

The past 3 days the chick's motor skills have seem to gone down hill. She can get around the brooder cuz every time i check on her shes in a different place. Recently tho she has been siting in one spot between the feeder and heat lamp corner. When i pick the chick up to make an inspection of her she chirps and moves like any other chick, but once i sit her back down she tries to walk off but cannot keep her balance. She has to extend her wings out with almost every step to keep her balance. Once she stops she doesn't keep her feet underneath of her, like she is sitting on the back of her legs/butt. As far as eating goes there just is none, i check her crop every day with no evidence that shes eating. What's sad is i can swear the duccle chick knows shes sick. She wont ever leave her side and also has quit eating but as far as her health goes she is 100% The only thing i did different for this brooder was using newspaper shreaddings and i have yet to add any ACV to their water so that might be what the problem is but i just don't know. I'm very worried about her. She's a very good looking chick, dark eyes, skin, vaulted, toes are great, would make an excellent addition to my breeding program, i just don't want to lose her.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Are you feeding her medicated chick feed?

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Try Poly-vi-sol vitamins WITHOUT iron. A couple drops on the beak three times a day for a few days and see if it improves.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1.Are the chicks too hot? My chicks got too warm once and they sprawled out looking totally lethargic.

2. I agree with the vitamins suggestion by acid. Sometimes if there is a neurological component in silkie symptoms, vitamins will help for whatever reason, I have found out by reading a lot of threads.

3. Please keep us updated! I hope all goes well with your two precious hearts.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:This is a good point. Have the chicks been on the ground yet? (rule out coccidiosis)

6. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:This is a good point. Have the chicks been on the ground yet? (rule out coccidiosis)

Yes feed is medicated. The lamp is high enough and pointed at the corner of the brooder so they can get away from the heat if need be. Where do I get these vitamins acid?

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010

Yes feed is medicated. The lamp is high enough and pointed at the corner of the brooder so they can get away from the heat if need be. Where do I get these vitamins acid?

You can buy them at Walmart or CVS or any place like that. They are baby vitamins and are mde by Enfamil. They come in a purple box.

8. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Seems that the silkie chick is eating and drinking now. I got the exact medication you suggested acid and have been doing what u said, but I was curious to kno why u said to drop it on the beak? I'm guessing so it will run down to the seperstion of the beak so that it bearly gets inside the chicks beak like when it drinks? Hopefully it will start helping soon.

9. ChickensAreSweet

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by