Lathargic Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhetts, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, I have spent many hours reading threads about sick birds trying to figure out what could be wrong with one of my hens. I haven't really been able to pin point on anything so I was hoping that someone might have some thoughts/suggestions. Sorry this post is so long I just want to make sure I am covering all my bases!

I have a large chicken coop that has 19 hens (heavy brown layer mix age 7 months) and about 10 (give or take a few that I am not sure of sexes on) EE roosters in with them and 8 EE pullets in a smaller area in same coop. All EEs are approx 17-18 weeks old. I have had the EEs since approx 4 weeks of age in a separate coop and run. The older ones free ranged and checked them out from time to time but no physical interactions. 3 weeks ago we moved everyone into a brand new coop, older girls in the big part and EE in the small one. The only thing keeping them apart was chicken wire so they could see, hear, smell, etc each other. After a week we put them all together. It did not go well. I thought it was because of too many roosters. I started to put them in the small coop. I realized that the older hens were not letting the younger ones eat or drink anything. After a couple days I changed my mind and pulled out the EE girls and put the roosters in with the older ones since they have a little more spunk and at least attempt to eat. The pullets hid all the time, they never got off the roosts and hid in the nest boxes and suffered from feather pulling from the older ones!!

The chickens have been in this set up for 2 weeks now: Older hens and roosters in large coop, smaller coop has 8 pullets. Everyone can see each other. They currently do not use an outside run for various reasons but they have ample space for sure. Roosters in with hens are able to eat and drink and scratch for treats. I have noticed the EE girls are better too. They seem much happier and active and they eat treats again now too!

Well, 3 days ago my daughter thought one of the Barreds looked pale. I am slightly color blind so it would have to be very pale for me to see it. I picked her up and looked her over. Yeah she did seem a little different than the others but acted normally. Then I watched her yesterday, she was interacting with the rest of the flock, eating, drinking, roosting etc but did seem to have a little less energy and her coloring did seem slightly more pale. Today she was even less active and mostly just sitting under the roosts or in the corner of coop with her eyes closed. She did come over to greet me when I came in and she did peck around at the veggies I brought in. I checked her over again looking for swollen crop, mites, lice, any injury, runny nose, anything. She has no feather loss, she is not droopy winged. Today she looked paler than yesterday and her eyes are not as wide open as everyone else. Pale I mean her waddles look pale and her face seems off color. I can't tell on the comb. No one else in the flock is acting unusual.

Side note *Our egg production has declined drastically but there are so many reasons for that (perhaps the last cold stretch for example and I mean COLD!)

I really don't know. I did stumble across a thread that someone lost a hen to internal bleeding and the only symptom was pale comb/waddles. That is possible that she could have gotten hurt. I realized the older ones managed to figure out a way to get up to the top of the wall frame and roost up there. Only 3-4 do it. I saw one jump down yesterday and she ran into the opposite wall like 13 feet away. I only thought of it now reading posts that she could have gotten hurt jumping down but really that is all I can think of.

Am I missing something? I really don't know what to do for her since I can't see whats wrong. What do you think?

Thanks for taking the time!
    Rhetts

2. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Here she is today. She greeted me when I came out but not really doing anything else. I brought her inside so I can watch her closer and make sure she is eating and drinking.

3. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I forgot to add the pics in the last post. Her ears are almost white, her waddles are very pale pink fading into a grayish look and her comb is purpleish on the tips but pale on bottom. Her face seems yellow and her eyes are not bright eyed. She wouldn't have frost bite as she has been inside these last 3 weeks and didn't have it before. Not swollen in abdomen, vent looks good and I don't see any mites/lice. None of the other birds are acting ill.

4. farminchick

farminchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    I am interested in responses because I am having similar symptoms with my 2 year old RIR. She is eating and drinking pecks at table scraps. Will move around but I have noticed her head is not held high her comb has shrunk and she just isn't herself :(

Does your barred rock seem to be losing weight? When I picked up my red she was light and keel bone protruding I am treating for worms...... don't know what else to do :(
    Do you treat for worms on a routine basis?

5. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    To be honest, I had never thought of worms until I began reading BYC. I asked my brother in law his opinion on the hen and asked him about any experience he has had with worms and he said he never had given it a thought. Well, we are learning now!!

I intend to deworm the entire flock as soon as I get the needed supplies.

6. farminchick

farminchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    I treated with wazine yesterday . Hoping to see improvement within the week. Please keep me posted on your hens progress. Hoping we both have success with worm treatment :)

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would absolutely agree with deworming. However, Wazine will only take care of round worms and there are many other worms chickens get. You are much better off to get some Valbazen or some liquid Safeguard for goats and use that.

Rhett's: What do this birds droppings look like?

8. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Her poo is greenish with white some solid and some watery ish. I kept her inside today fed eggs and made sure she had water. one poo the whole time inside for 5 hours. i brought her back outside to the coop and she settled in under the roost in the sunshine. I put her back since I was going to deworm the flock.

I looked up the local 'farm' store (if I can even call it that) online and they only had one dewomer listed. Here is the write up for it

Farnam Ivercare Ivermectin DeWormer

Ivercare dewormer. Treats horses up to 1500 lb. in 1 dose. Broad-spectrum parasite protection in an easy-to-use Sure-Grip syringe.

Obviously this won't work. I am still going to go there later and look in person. What should I be looking for anyway?

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer is what you are looking for.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Each chicken should be dosed individually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by