lathargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandra1, May 8, 2009.

1. sandra1

sandra1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    I have a 14 day old chick that is lathargic. She is just sitting in the bottom of the cage acting very mellow. She has been one of my very active girls so I though she is probable a roo. Well this morning she is acting very different. I did see her eating a little but thats it. I am going to isolate her and chech her poop but I was just wondering if anybody has an idea of whats wrong?

2. sandra1

Apr 26, 2009
    Forgot to mention that she seems to be acting like she is going to fall over and her feathers seemed to be a little poofed up.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds like a prelude to cocci. That's what mine did right before she started pooping blood. Have they had access to the ground at all yet? If they have, i would guess that's what you've got.

I went ahead and treated everyone with Corid for 5 days, and all the problems were gone.

Someone else may have better suggestions.

4. sandra1

Apr 26, 2009
    No, they have only been in the brooder. I did give her some vit E and some vitamin B complex and a homeopathy remedy of Calicarea Carb. She seems to be doing a very little bit better but I am trying to figure it out so I can treat the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by