Lathargic chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nittanyxi, May 12, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I just got 15 chicks from my pet chicken yesterday. They only took one day to ship and they all arrived healthy, active and peeping. I put them in the brooder and all of them began eating and drinking right away.

by late yesterday afternoon they all pretty much started becoming lathargic. Not making very much noise at all and laying down with their heads on the ground quite a bit. They have been that way since and are still like that this morning. Every now and then a few will get up and eat or drink and look normal when they are up but then they will lay down again. none of them really make a lot of noise. just some small peeps when they are up. no noise while they are down. Is this normal?

The brooder is a 55 gal tank with cardboard on 3 sides with a red heat lamp. Temp does not appear to be an issue at all. I had a piece of material on the ground that had never been used. I took that out because I though maybe it had been treated with something that was affecting them and I replaced it with the straw that they had been packed in when they arrived. No change. They seem normal when I wake them up or they get up on their own. It's just that since yesterday afternoon and now they really haven't been up that much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    If they are day olds they will sleep a lot for the first week sodon't worry as long as they are eating, drinking and pooping [​IMG]

Relax and enjoy them they are soo cute!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. babypeeps

babypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Well mine sleep quit a bit but also are up running around a lot to eatting and drinking, not constant sleeping. The 2 i had that did the most sleeping passed away on me but I could tell from the begining they were sick. but if they seem pretty active and are running around drinking and eatting I'd think they are okay. I added sugar to my water yesterday as advised on Murry McMurry Hatchery. 3 tbsp to 1 quart of water for about 2 days.

good luck with those chickies [​IMG]

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Electrolytes in the water will make chicks more active but I really think your chicks are probably just normal babies who sleep, drink, and poop. That's it. Give it a few days and see what happens. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just try and chill out and give it a couple of days. I just went into lock down yesterday on the eggs in the incubator so i'm sure I'll be on here posting about some other worry in not to long.

I only wanted 6 chickens. I had problems with my incubator and didn't think any of the eggs would hatch so I ordered 15 pullets from My Pet Chicken.....That's right I wanted 6 and ordered 15...... I was never good at math. Anyway, now I have 15 chicks (which I love) and 18 of my eggs ended up developing and are due to hatch friday.

6. Acefit411

Acefit411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    Good Morning EVERYONE!!!!
    I'm new to the site...

I have a two week old Barred Rock that up until this morning was very lively just like the other 7 baby chicks (different breeds) that I have...She is acting very lathargic, standing in the corner, eyes shut, head slightly down. She lets me pick her up with NO problem, will stay in my hands, then wants down. I have observed for 1 hour now - no drinking and no eating. They are on shavings that I change once a day, water gets changed twice a day, and they are on medicated starter food. NO pasting (clean coolie).

I did raise the heat lamp a few inches last night (temp reading 80). What have I done wrong???

Please advise, I don't want to lose her :(

~anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by