Lathargic rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantamma, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Bantamma

Bantamma Hatching

Nov 19, 2019
    Hi! New chicken owner and my bantam rooster is acting weird. Reading his head against walls, like he's trying to hide. His breathing is slow. His comb and face are a little blue. I am currently holding him wrapped in layers, hoping he's just cold but not sure if it could be more. Has anyone encountered this problem before? What else can I do?

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Where are you located?
    How old is he?
    What are you feeding?
    Is he your only chicken?
    Is he eating? Drinking? Pooping?
    Picture of him standing on his own & his poop, please.

Eggcessive and TwentyOneChickens like this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I would start by bringing him in where it is warm. If that stresses him out, maybe bring a friend with him.

4. Bantamma

Bantamma Hatching

Nov 19, 2019
    He won't leave the towel, just laying calmly. He looked/ felt cold so I wrapped him up for 3 hours and his comb is normal color. We're in Brentwood California, he's the rooster but we have two hens. They seem fine. I haven't seen him poop, eat or drink today but I do work until 4 which is when I found him. I just gave him some electrolyte/ probiotic infused water by syringe.

5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

My parents live in Byron (Discovery Bay), so I know exactly where Brentwood is! I'm over in the Santa Cruz mountains (unincorporated Los Gatos). So he's swallowing on his own? How is his breathing now? Have you offered him a favorite treat to entice him to eat a little?

6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Also, a sick bird can have trouble regulating their own body temperature, even though we are relatively warm here in California. Having said that, I did notice a turn to cooler weather tonight. Do your birds free range at all and could he have gotten into something?

7. Bantamma

Bantamma Hatching

Nov 19, 2019
    This morning he ran from my touch which is normal for him. Going to keep giving him the electrolytes, but he's a free range chicken and we don't normally give him treats. He is swallowing on his own. Looks a little better, thinking he might be dehydrated.

ChickNanny13 and micstrachan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: