Lathargic thin hen - HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adamsfam2006, Dec 4, 2014.

1. adamsfam2006

adamsfam2006 New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    Pierce County, WA
    I have mixed Maran hen/pullet about 20 weeks who I noticed was rather wobbly, went to pick her up and she is bone thin. She has 4 older sisters and they are doing just fine, going about their normal chicken business but Marie is sick. I was worried the older girls just weren't letting her eat and separated her yesterday she ate a little and drank, let her sleep inside over night. But now this afternoon she is worse, she is laying in the coop and really not moving, eyes closed.....no bugs or anything that I have noticed, she has always had a little cough since we got her. What is this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give her some electrolyte water, and offer her some scrambled egg, along with her feed. Coughing may be a sign of respiratory disease or heart problems. How are her poops? Have you wormed your chickens before? Check her for lice and mites, and also check her crop to see if it is empty or full.

3. adamsfam2006

adamsfam2006 New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    Pierce County, WA
    I bought Gatorade and actually fed her scrambled eggs, she had both but it was a lost cause,
    Marie died this afternoon. Now to watch my other ladies like a hawk, if I lost all my ladies it would be heartbreaking. I just wish I knew what it was.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. A necropsy done by your state vet could probably find a cause of death.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by