Laughing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davekrista, Jun 25, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I have read about the egg laying son, but are there any other "time" when a hen will sing? Atleast once a day one of my girls goes around for an hour or 2 and it almost sound like she is laughing. We'ver had them about 3 days now, and she did this all morning yesterday and now a couple hours this afternoon. She was born about March (or atleast that is what we were told) but she laid and egg the night/morning we got her, and hasn't yesterday or today....

Just wondering if anyone else sounds like she is laughing?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Some sound like that, but mostly mine just yell.

They will sing when they are laying the egg. When they lay the egg will change throughout the week. (So if your girl takes 30 hours to lay an egg, the first day it will be at 6 am, the next 10 am, the next 2 pm, etc.)

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What breed is she? I'm curious because I have a chicken that sounds like it's laughing, too... but I can't catch which one! I have 8 candidates:

16 weeks old - Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Welsummer, and bantam Lavender Cochin.

11, 12 weeks old: bantam Black Cochin, bantam Buff Brahma, two Silver Sebrights (but the Brahma and Sebrights are roos....)

So I'm curious.

4. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I posted pics on the "what breed is this" board and its seems unanamous (spelled wrong sorry) that mine are all EE's...

This is snow white, she is the one that sounds like she is laughing.....
    [​IMG]

This is all 3 - sorry not the greatest pics, i am using my webcam i need a new camera
    [​IMG]

5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I think she is laughing indeed. If she is new, what might she be laughing at?
    Maybe you have a funny looking chicken coop? [​IMG]
    OR, maybe she dosen't relize she is a chicken and thinks all your other girls are funny looking? [​IMG]
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself [​IMG]

6. FlyingFChick

FlyingFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Milford, Michigan
    Phil,
    I LOVE your coop!!! [​IMG] Your father would be proud!!! You had some great ideas! Just had to let you know![​IMG]

7. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Phil, she very well could be laughing at the coop. [​IMG] I had to throw something together because hubby called on his way home from work and said he was given 3 hens and in the hour it takes him to get home my "task" was to come up with a home temporarily for them. So I transformed a third of our run down old shed to be their home, and the next day we got some chicken wire and quickly made them an outdoor run.... Its functional as it has everything they need, but its not the greatest to look at...... [​IMG]

We're hoping this weekend to have enough time to make a more permanent, better looking place for them. [​IMG]

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Thank you for the kind words. The coop has really worked out well. My Dad had more influence in my life than I ever knew, I just hope my son feels the same about me someday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by