• Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
For those who have not heard, we have decided to cut back on our number of breeds to 2 - our Buff Orps and our Black Cochins. Just for sanity, I have decided to retain one Lavender Orpington cockerel who I am in love with.

Now, the question is, who do I put him with? The Buff Orpingtons or the Black Cochins? I have a small pen I had some bantams in that could serve as a breeding pen for him and 1-2 hens.

I've heard that breeding him to Buffs would produce Buff offspring with less smut. However, if I was to breed the offspring together would I get lavender chicks? Porcelain chicks? Buff chicks?
idunno.gif

Now, I know what the results would be for the Lav and Black breeding - split lav offspring that could be used to create lavender cochins down the line.

So, input please!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

catwalk

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
I love the isabel color, which would be an eventual result of lavxbuff. You don't get porcalain unless you also have mille, but I like isabel better anyway.

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
Are you selling off your other breeds? Or just the roosters? I had to scale back too. I'm a little ADHD and found it simpler to have all different colored egg layers
tongue.png
No more hatching mutts unless they are EEs
roll.png

However, I'm waiting for those giant lav cochin babies you're destined to make! You can never have too many cochins.

leghorn dude

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2008
Conroe tx
just ship him to me i got some hens he would love lol

oh and i dont think ive seen any lf lav cochins anyone got some?

Last edited:

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
A buff x lav will not make porcelain orps. You would need mille fleur for that.. mf X lav = porcelain (eventually). What you will end up is very light blonde buffs after several generations.

If your cochins are large fowl, I would make lavender cochins. I'm sorry to hear you have to give something up. Those decisions are always tough.
hugs.gif

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom