Lav Orp x Black Cochin = Lavender Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenfamilyfarms, Sep 3, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If I was to cross a Lavender Orpington to a LF Black Cochin, would I eventually end up with Lavender Cochins? How "hard" would this project be?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Might take a while to get the leg feathering right. You know how partridge cochins still look a bit "brahmaesque"?

3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yeah... [​IMG] I know it will take some selection, but I'm thinking about trying it. I think a huge, fluffy, feather-footed lavender bird will be awesome to behold.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Ideal sells bantam self blue cochins. The type isn't great, but it would cut out a few steps.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It should give you split/lav chicks, then you breed the chicks together and end up with all lav's. I have a thread on here, and they explained it to me.

I am looking for a Lav Orp Roo to breed to my Australorps.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not exactly.

When you breed a Lavender to Black, yes, you get chicks that are split for lavender. But if you were to breed two split birds together, you would get 25% black, 50% split, and 25% lavender, not ALL lavender. If you bred the split blacks to the lavender parent, then you would get 50% lavender and 50% split.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Quote:Yeah... [​IMG] I know it will take some selection, but I'm thinking about trying it. I think a huge, fluffy, feather-footed lavender bird will be awesome to behold.

They would look very nice and a good project. That is why we are working on the lavender Sussex(Huge,fluffy, but not feather-footed)

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Starting with the bantams might be a bit easier. A lavender Australorp would be lovely. As well as a Sussex. [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I'm looking to do a large fowl (LF) project. Thanks for your help!

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Anything large, fluffy, and lavender would be awesome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by