Lav. Orpington needs your help

chrisnatx

Hatching
May 13, 2021
Hello, Hoping I can get some of your expertise. We're a little new to chickens.

Background:
Had a bad freeze here in Texas awhile ago, Chickens did great but I think they got stressed due to water freezing up for portions of the day, etc.
They came out of it seemingly great, but a dominant chicken started hen pecking the others. Tried the blinder/sunglass thing for the aggresive chicken and she got very thin and ended up removing it and putting Chicken Saddles on the other chickens. As soon as bully chicken got its energy back (about a week) started hen pecking again. Re-homed the aggressive chicken. Meanwhile other chickens were stressed and missing some feathers on their butts but didn't have any major wounds. Beginning during this time I noticed some odd behavior in a few chickens that (at first) I thought was just due to the stress of the bully and henpecking:
Some have ruffled, puffed up feathers
Wiping beak on ground and shaking head often
Lethargic, being broody in nesting boxes
Some have runny stool, no blood that I can see though.
Pale Combs, some with little white crusty, just a bit

then one became very lethargic and was laying down in the middle of the run one day, she passed that night.

After some reading I decided it might be Coccidiosis. I'm on day 3 of 5 for the Corid water treatment.

I see improvements (I think) in flock, also with the bully chicken gone stress seems to be going down.

BUT, I have one Lavender Orpington who seems worse with the symptoms I listed above, super puffed up, erradic speed walking around run, broody, lethargic, some diarrea and she is shaking her head often and wiping her beak a lot though there is nothing on it.

She eats a little, and does drink the medicated water when I kick her out of the roosting box. Worried I'm going to loose her, Any help would be appreciated. I'd say the odd behaviors have been about 2 weeks, hen-pecking issues were over the past month.

Thanks in advance!

RCB in Austin, TX

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

The only reason I worry now that I'm already treating for Coccidiosis is that she is acting much like the one the died a few days ago...

So to summarize:
Treating for Coccidiosis, day 4 of 5.
One hen still acting odd:
super puffed up
erradic speed walking around run when disturbed
broody and lethargic
some diarrea
shaking her head often and wiping her beak a lot though there is nothing on it

How old is this hen?

Is she laying currently?

Have you seen her drinking the medicated water?

Have you checked for mites?

When was the last time you noticed her taking a dust bath?

What color is the runny stool?

What is the protein percentage of the feed you are using and feed brand?

Do you notice if her crop is emptying normally?

Has her ear lobes lost or changed color?

What is the current temps at your place during the height of the day?

Any new treats or food?

You mentioned treating with Corid, what is the concentration and how much are you using per gallon of water that is changed each day?

These answers should help us steer you into a treatment plan.

Things to do now:

Isolate her and or put her into a broody jail [wire cage with wire floor to keep her off the ground and cool her down].

Clean thoroughly the nesting boxes [ incase of mites]

Extend her Corid treatment to 7 days

Immediately after treating with Corid, add vitamin and probiotics to the water every other day for a week. Corid is known to take a tole on intestinal fauna and deplete vitamins because of this.

Back
Top Bottom