Laveder freckles

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kari_dawn, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    One of my marans pullets kicks straw (Jasmine's favorite subsrate) out of the nest box any time I use it, so I have resorted to pine shavings. Jasmine's rebellion is laying her eggs in the food pan. [​IMG]

So, today, I checked the box, no eggs yet. The food pan had a lovely brown egg with little lavender freckles on it [​IMG] It really is lovely. What causes this do you think? Her eggs are more prone to be freckled than Candi's, but this is the first time one of her eggs has had big lavender freckles on it! Yesterday, they got a head of romaine lettuse, tomato (which they get often), yogurt, strawberries, and blackberries.

I read from another BYCer about lavender spots after a meal of blackberries...could that be it or is it just a fluke?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That sure is pretty! [​IMG] I guess it would make sense if she had some blackberries for a snack! [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think Im gonna try giving her blackberries again...just to see what happens

4. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Pretty! (And we have the same name!)

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    it's a good name! LOL and thanks! I think so too...Im hoping for more of them!

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    more blackberries, and more lavender spots!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by