lavendar plants...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrsengeseth, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

good or bad for chickens? also...mint plants??

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

My four hens pretty much leave the lavendar alone; they don't eat it (an occasional peck) but they will trample the plants if they're still small. They do scratch about looking for bugs, of course. [​IMG]
    I also have mint in a pot; the girls will perch themselves on the rim of the pot and scatter dirt about or take a peck. They don't eat much of the mint, and I've never seen ill effects from it.
    Methinks that if people can eat these herbs, they're unlikely to hurt chickens.

Carla

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Chooks don't seem to go for the very aromatic herbs, at least mine don't, and I've got plenty of herbs in the gardens. They'll eat the calendulas that are right next to the lavender, or oregano, but they don't touch them.

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I am thinking of wht I'd like to plant around the property and i was thinking if i planted a few things that smell nice, maybe the smells (in between cleanings) might negate some of the other...less attractive smells. Although DH and i don't smell anything at all from our girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by