Lavender AND splash

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Cefast, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Cefast

Cefast In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    I have a lavender hen that produce blue offspring, hence also splash. Her feathers show darker stems and some even more dark gray. Is this because of the double blue gene or are there more hiding. Anyone else with a bird with the same genotype showing the same fenotype?

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Was lavender bred to lavender? I'm unsure in chickens, but in turkeys lavender can have black specs to it, so maybe it's similar in chickens?

3. Cefast

Cefast In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    No, I bred her to a jubilee rooster and all the offspring got blue. Thats why I can tell she is not only lavender but also splash.

4. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    She's not lavender and splash, she's just splash. Why did you think she was lavender?

5. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Agreed
    She isn't lavender

6. MokiYoki

MokiYoki Chirping

Oct 4, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry she is just a dark splash and not lavender. A lavender splash would be white or nearly white with light lavender flecks. She is beautiful anyways and gives you all blue chicks! So thats nice :)

7. Cefast

Cefast In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    Sorry if the photos mislead you but she is lavender. Im not misstaken on that. I know a splash bird when I see one and a lavender aswell. This paticular bird carries both and my question is if someone can confirm splash showing thru lavender the way her feathers show or not.

8. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    There's a difference in being lavender and carrying lavender and I can confirm that she is not expressing lavender.

9. MokiYoki

MokiYoki Chirping

Oct 4, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you want confirmation on if she is lavender or not then cross her to a lavender rooster.
    If the offspring come out all blue she is simpley a splash.
    If all of them come out as light as she is then you have a lavender.
    If you get more than one shade of black/blue/lavender then she is a lavender carrier but that still doesnt mean she appears lavender.
    Splash has a highly variable expression so that means they can be very solid Lavender colour with a few flecks of black/dark grey or they can have a mix of white and blue feathers. Lavender and splash are just diluters of black they act on the same range of colour.
    If I were you Id cross her back to her sons and work on making the colour more solid in the splashes. It would be a new sort of self lavender that doesnt mess up the feather quality and makes blues when crossed to black which sounds way better than traditional lavender.

CoturnixComplex and Cefast like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: