1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IcarusSomnio, Sep 14, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I recently had the luck to purchase a very broody mother hen and her five chicks. The mother hen appears to be a Lavender carrier, as do two of the chicks. I overheard the gentleman talking with another lady about them and apparently he also has a lavender banty rooster.
    The mother and two chicks are a strange black that doesn't really seem black, but is still somehow black. The other three chicks, however, are the cutest little lavenders!

The only problem is I haven't a clue what breed they are exactly. Too small to be Sebrights, possibly Japanese? The mother hen is very small, has to weigh less than a pound. She has a lovely upright tail, with the down swept wing set. She's almost scarily vicious, when I brought her in today from spending some time outside (they stay for the most part in the brooder) she attacked my hand in this little angry flurry of feathers then quickly retreated with her chicks. Her shows of 'aggression' are downright cute.

I'll get pictures up as soon as my camera is off the charger. I keep hoping that the gent will bring more to the auction, as far as I know he just keeps them for eggs and lawn decoration and occasionally sells the surplus. I'll have to bother him a bit next time I see him. Lavender is my favorite color, but to have a teeny tiny little bantam lavender is just irresistible! [​IMG]

2. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Pics would be necessary to identify the breed. If some of the chicks are visual lavenders, the black ones *could* be carriers, but you wouldn't be able to identify carriers just by looking at them, because lavender doesn't leak. Must be something else making them appear "off" black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by