Lavender barred rocks???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jonsccm, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

Has any one tried to breed a lavender to barred rocks to try to get a lavender/blue rock with distinctive barring? I have been thinking of starting a Lavender Orpingtons flock. But I have this drive to come up with something new.
    Any ideas on how one would do this what lavender breed would you start with?

2. jonsccm

Anyone?

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are you saying you want to create a Lavender Barred Plymouth Rock?

That sounds difficult. I don't know if you can turn the barring lavender.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    there are blue barred rocks, but the blue often makes the barring difficult to see. I think username DMrippy has some. Not at all sure how it would work with lavender, maybe one of the genetics gurus will come along.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The person said "lavender/blue rock."

So I guess it has already been done.

6. jonsccm

I would like to end up with lavender with barring that will breed true. I have tried to research this but I can't find anything. In theory it should work. But if it was that easy I feel like someone would have tried it, lavender and blue seem to be popular these days. I have seen some barred BO that I bealieve were a buff / cuckoo cross I'm looking for something similar but distinctive barring in lavender / blue. Maybe I'm asking for to much....

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Lavender and blue are different, genetically, so you'd need to start by picking which color.

I just don't think it would show up well enough to be worth your trouble. I have a hen that's blue and is genetically barred, but you can't really tell to look at her

[​IMG]
    That blue is barred. She's darkened up a little, but you still have to look very, very closely to see the barring. I think the same would be on the lavender birds, I don't think you'd be able to see it, even if they were genetically barred.

8. jonsccm

Thank you for the picture! Thats what I was concerned about. Continuing to breed with the barred rocks would probably end up with with just a solid lavender rock.... That's still pretty cool! But not what I'm looking for. Do you think that there would be any way to black on lavender?

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No. The barring is the white color, not the black color. Like a barred rock is a black bird with white bars. If you could do black barring on another base color bird--that would be cool!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by