1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender barred?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KyBlue, Sep 11, 2009.

1. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I'm a little curious about "lavender barred". I've noticed them listed on a few UK websites and on the Kip Calculator but haven't been able to locate any pics of birds. Anyone have any? Are there any lavender barred in the US or anyone working on them? How difficult would it be to produce Lavender Barred Rocks?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    That lavender cuckoo is gorgeous![​IMG]

4. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Beautiful lavender cuckoo, Krys. Thanks for posting the pic!

???If you used one of the lavender orpington project birds that some BYC'ers have and crossed it with barred rocks, would it be hard to breed out the white legs/skin? Or would there be an easier breed to introduce the lavender into the rocks?

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it would be pretty easy to make lavender barred rocks using those lavender birds which are about.
    Barred rock male on lavender female. Ought to give all black barred offspring, white legs. Breed the offspring together. All things being equal approx 1 in 4 will be lavender, all males will carry at least one barring gene, 1 in 2 males will have 2 barring genes, 1 in 2 females will be barred, 1 in 4 birds will have yellow skin. So 1 in 16 males will be lavender barred with yellow legs; 1 in 32 males will lavender with two barring genes & yellow legs; 1 in 32 females will be lavender, barred & with yellow legs. Repeat, breeding back to top quality barred rocks, & croosing offspring in the next generation until the birds have the correct type. You may choose to breed less & save selecting for yellow legs until later, the frequency of yellow legs (recessive) increases as the birds get bred back to barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by