Lavender Buff Rooster?

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
I accidently posted this on another thread, but need input about whether this Lavender Buff mix is a rooster 5 months old

Last edited:
Talking to the women that has this chicken...She said it doesn't have saddle feather and it is pure Lavender buff, she got the eggs from a certified facility and toured her farm.. The four other hatch mates do not have the combs like this one, barely showing through.. I'm not worried if its either a rooster or a hen, I'll gladly take either, but if this is a rooster he will replace my older silkie mix roo, but I don't want to cull the old guy until I know for sure but don't want to keep this one separate for more than a week or two.

I've had a buff orp with a comb that large at a younf age, so you may want to wait a while. At 20 weeks I would expect to see some hackle and saddle feathers come around. You may very well have landed a nice pullet, but it's tough to say based on the one picture.

I saw you post on that one acting dominant; pullets do the same thing sometimes when establishing the pecking order. Assuming you've completed your quarantine, I'd not worry about seperating this bird from the others soley based on the thought that it will be a cockerel. The silkie-mix may very well help you answer that question. But you may need to wait a bit to tell for sure. My thought is this is a pullet, but I'd need to see the rest of the body and tail, and I am not a "noted" chicken sexer.

I've had a buff orp with a comb that large at a younf age, so you may want to wait a while. At 20 weeks I would expect to see some hackle and saddle feathers come around. You may very well have landed a nice pullet, but it's tough to say based on the one picture.

I saw you post on that one acting dominant; pullets do the same thing sometimes when establishing the pecking order. Assuming you've completed your quarantine, I'd not worry about seperating this bird from the others soley based on the thought that it will be a cockerel. The silkie-mix may very well help you answer that question. But you may need to wait a bit to tell for sure. My thought is this is a pullet, but I'd need to see the rest of the body and tail, and I am not a "noted" chicken sexer.

Thanks,
I am picking up the Rooster/hen tonight, it will go thru quarantine ...I'll try and get a side photo, I've been pretty consistent in being able to tell my Roosters from my hens and I've not seen side photo's of this one...in the other thread I did post a pic of its hatch mate which leads the owner to believe this is a rooster, but I have hens with pretty large combs, of course none are LBO's. But regardless I'll take your advice, my two resident roo's will be able to tell me what this is
smile.png

Thanks,
I am picking up the Rooster/hen tonight, it will go thru quarantine ...I'll try and get a side photo, I've been pretty consistent in being able to tell my Roosters from my hens and I've not seen side photo's of this one...in the other thread I did post a pic of its hatch mate which leads the owner to believe this is a rooster, but I have hens with pretty large combs, of course none are LBO's. But regardless I'll take your advice, my two resident roo's will be able to tell me what this is
smile.png

Ok, so I posted this picture in my other thread, but thought I would add it here, its the light grey one..

Oh, and it refused quarantine..LOL, when we opened the carrier to put it in the grow out pen it ran/flew right past us and went strait to the others...I'm not to worried, I know the owner and we have exchanged chickens a few times...Never have had an issue

Morning observations...

All the chickens and Roosters were out and about by 6 am.. I went out at 7:30 for coop clean up and treats, the LBO was in a nesting box at the bottom far corner where it had been all night, I got it out and as soon as it exited the coop our dominant Rooster was after it, not to attack but an attempt to mount, new chicken had none of it.. Again its almost 5 months old so if it is a hen I doubt its ready and the move may hinder or kick it back a bit... While giving treats the roosters do not mess with it, but a few of the dominant hens do go up and "dominate" it.. There are no spur nubs that I can see but it looks like a gangly teenager to me so maybe too soon if it is a rooster..

My question, will a rooster try and mount/mate a young rooster?? I am leaning more to the hen side of the isle but am not knowledgeable with this type of bird..

Sometimes roosters will mount cockerels. Some closer side pictures would help. Looks awful gangly for an Orp.

Bird in question also has some lacing so is a blue. If the lady you got crossed a lavender and buff the resulting offspring will only carry lavender.

Sometimes roosters will mount cockerels. Some closer side pictures would help. Looks awful gangly for an Orp.

Bird in question also has some lacing so is a blue. If the lady you got crossed a lavender and buff the resulting offspring will only carry lavender.

Of all the LBO I have seen I have to agree, looks very very gangly and does not look as full as its hatch mates which led her to believe it was a male and her decision to be rid of it before it started mating, she does not have any roosters as she sells her eggs and her clients want only non fertile eggs, I would think being the only rooster in the hen house would make this one show his male side by now, crowing and such but it never did that she knows of.... Also had thought it might be a blue... Oh why is this so hard at this age whether it is male or female should be obvious lol

Back
Top Bottom