Lavender crossed with Blue anybody know for sure what will happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roosterfry, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    I have a self blue (lavender) orpington rooster and I have a friend who took him off my hands to breed him to his 9 blue hens. Does anybody know what this will do or has anyone done something similare to this? Thanks

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Not sure about the orpingtons, I have silkies & showgirls.... but whatever I breed to my blue silkie roo, I get blue....even lav. They may hatch a very, very pale dove grey, but they feather out to blue.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Since the lavender is a recessive gene and it takes 2 copies to get lavender, you have to think of it as a black bird for the first generation cross to the blues. Blue X Black = 50/50 blue and black chicks. All of them will carry a single copy of the lav gene because the rooster is lavender and passes the gene on to each offspring.

4. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:So does this mean I should expect all blue offspring?

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    You will get blues and black at a bout a 50% ratio....as stated above.

6. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:But to think of the lavender as a black (as stated above) that would mean to me that you would either get all blue offspring or half blue have lavender.

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    no. Blue is a combination of splash and black. Lavender attaches itself to the black..

Ok so Splash is BL, BL
    Black is bl,bl
    Blue is BL,bl

Lavender is bl,bl - essentially black BUT the lavender gene attaches to the black and if you have one - or a split it will carry it on, but if you have two, then the color shows lavender and will breed true with a lavender over lavender.

So if you have a lavender "showing" it's more like this bl(x),bl(x)...black base(bl) but showing lavender(x) because the black is "covered" by a lavender (x) on both black (bl) genes.

So if you take that lavender bl(x),bl(x) and breed it to a blue BL,bl You will get this mix:

BL,bl(x) - show blue carries lavender
    bl,bl(x) - show black carries lavender

in a 50 50 mix of blue and black.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Oh ok, got it now. Thanks for the help guys!!! I'll let ya'll know how this goes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by