Lavender gene in Silkies... new project?

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
I have just a few questions on the lavender gene in Silkies before I go ahead and jump on the lavender bandwagon!

1) Lavender is a diluting gene. Is it over a black bird or a partridge bird? EE or e^b/e^b?

2) If it is over a black bird, which I believe it is, could you have a lavender bird that is blue or splash underneath or would the two diluting genes cancel each other out?
Ex: EE, lav/lav, B/b OR B/B
(If this works, I may want this to be my first project!!)

3) Is Porcelain a partridge bird with two copies of lavender?

I have just a few questions on the lavender gene in Silkies before I go ahead and jump on the lavender bandwagon!

1) Lavender is a diluting gene. Is it over a black bird or a partridge bird? EE or e^b/e^b?

2) If it is over a black bird, which I believe it is, could you have a lavender bird that is blue or splash underneath or would the two diluting genes cancel each other out?
Ex: EE, lav/lav, B/b OR B/B
(If this works, I may want this to be my first project!!)

3) Is Porcelain a partridge bird with two copies of lavender?
Lavender is diluted black that can pretty much play on any color variety that has black genes. Blue is also diluted black.
E/E, Di/Di, or Lav/Lav.
I believe lavender can be achieved using blue, Bl/Bl, Di/Di

I don't know a ton about lavender, I'm still studying genetics.

1 Lavender (also known as self blue) is over black. (EE) It is already found in Silkies, and fairly easy to find as well.
2 Because they are different alleles, lavender and blue or lavender can be on the same bird. In fact, I own some myself. However, they are very hard to spot without breeding to a bird that is not lavender. In my d’Anvers, the lavender blues are an almost white but with black feather quills. They have less feather shredding as well. I suspect that this would be very hard to spot in Silkies. I am supposing that lavender splashes would be white. Lavender blues and splashes are quite unimpressive and not worth the effort.
3 While porcelain is very different in other breeds, (partridge, columbian, mottled, lavender) I believe your statement in porcelain Silkies being partridge and lavender is true.

Lavender blue. (Excuse the feather quality and the blurriness, she’s molting currently and also decided to turn around in the roost.)
9B4EFBFC-112F-4128-A8BE-24362593A870.jpeg

Here's my Porcelain D'Uccle X White Silkie cross. She got the lavender gene from both parents. Her father is a white Silkie who's split to lavender.
0826191350.jpg
0826191351.jpg

1 Lavender (also known as self blue) is over black. (EE) It is already found in Silkies, and fairly easy to find as well.
2 Because they are different alleles, lavender and blue or lavender can be on the same bird. In fact, I own some myself. However, they are very hard to spot without breeding to a bird that is not lavender. In my d’Anvers, the lavender blues are an almost white but with black feather quills. They have less feather shredding as well. I suspect that this would be very hard to spot in Silkies. I am supposing that lavender splashes would be white. Lavender blues and splashes are quite unimpressive and not worth the effort.
3 While porcelain is very different in other breeds, (partridge, columbian, mottled, lavender) I believe your statement in porcelain Silkies being partridge and lavender is true.

Thank you for sharing this and the pictures! They are pretty but I think you are right, it seems like a lot of effort to go through for something that looks essentially like a lavender bird!

If anyone has any ideas on a color project that could be produced with Blue, Black, or Splash as a parent, let me know! I am open to ideas!

Back
Top Bottom