Lavender Genetic Project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken stalker, Jan 2, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I am curious on how many people are working on Lavender projects....particularly Ameraucana. I know the color is not recognized yet but I want to further devolope this breed. I also love the blues and blue/wheatens...is there a lavender/wheaten?

As far as I know Pips and Peeps, and Shaffer are working on these lines...anyone else? ohhh of course I would love to see some pics. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Sara, bluey?

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Working at it!

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    chicken stalker,
    There should be many people working on the Lavenders now since I have shared the ones I had with many people. I have considered working on the Lavender/Wheaten Ameraucanas myself but room has not been available for me at this time since I added Orpingtons and good ones take up twice as much room as an Ameraucana or Araucana does. So if you already have wheaten Ameraucanas, I have read that a wheaten lavender hen looks somewhat a pinkish color. I am really not sure if they do or not. That would be a very nice project for someone to take on. Harry

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Harry - Thanks for sharing!

Jim

6. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks Harry,
    Lavender wheatens is the project I am going to focus in on. I spent most of last night reading up on lavender genetics. I find it very interesting. Do you have any lavender genetics tips...particularly breeding lavender wheatons. Do you know of anyone else breeding them?

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    how do you get self blues throw lavenders i want to start a project with my dutch bantams

8. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that "self blues" and "lavenders" were of the same color just a different term. The color in some breeds is called "self blue" and in other breeds called "lavender". Is this correct?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, that is correct. Self-blue is lavender.

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Lavender aka self blue and pearl gray are all the same..Lavender is a recessive gene/trait and needs 2 copy's of it to be seen....

Andalusian blue is not the same as above..

To get the lavender "per say color"(lavender is just a diluter of black and red, lavender is not really a color in its self) one must bring the lavender trait/gene into a breed if it doesn't have it, that may mean using a breed or bird that does have it..

Charlie

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by