Lavender Genetic ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by swheat, Sep 1, 2010.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Black roo leaking silver X Lavender hen =

I am curious about the what the leaking silver will do to the lavender and if it will affect all offspring.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    yes.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Henk~

Would you be so kind as to explain the effects that it will have on the offspring? Steve asked a great question and as I am learning about the lavender gene and its effects it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance and Thanks again Steve for posting this question. [​IMG]

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I am not sure how to get the leaking silver on the calculator. And it won't tell me if the silver will show up on a lavender bird. I use the calculator and it is great but when it comes down to reading the codes - I am lost.

I just wanted to know if the silver would leak to all later lavender progeny and if the silver leakage be visible on a lavender bird.

thanks

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    yes and yes.

The silver=groundcolor leakage applies to all solid colors.
    Also the black will be dominant to the lavender.

The leakage is not shown in the calculator. Unknown genes may prevent it (already absent in your rooster).
    And the hens should be acceptable unicolor/solid. I mean it is a cockerel problem.
    Because you can't tell which hen would produce leaky sons you have a bit of a problem.

Why would you want to do the cross you mentioned?

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I have a black cochin roo(with the leakage) I wanted to mate to a Lavender cochin hen(hatchery bird-very poor quality). I realize I won't get lavender until the next generation. But this roo has very good type compared to his other brothers(or other bothers from the same pen-not sure if they have the same mother) which do not show any silver. I just wanted to use him because he is much better bird(type wise) other than the leakage.

Thanks
    Steve

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    We have a few lavender birds that were from a line where the father was black with some silver leakage.

The offspring that have it are lavender with a slightly yellowy tinge where the leakage was present on the distant father.

It's almost imperceptible. Not terribly noticeable but it is present on a few birds.

Its so slight that I’m sure with selective breeding it will easily disappear altogether.

Well worth the trade for improving your birds in my opinion.

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info. HCM ! I was hoping someone that maybe had some experience from a breeding example would share information on this. Normally I would not even think about using a roo w/leakage but this roo is great(short back,huge cushion) other than the leakage. I think I will use him for a while then use one of the other solid roos then compare the offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by