Lavender hen x Blue rooster??? Is that ok?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poultrycrazy mom, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Poultrycrazy mom

Poultrycrazy mom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbiaville, MI
    My problem is i cant seem to find a nice black rooster right now, can i breed a blue rooster to a lav hen?

2. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    You can, and will end up with blue and black chicks that are split for lavender. If there is any chance that the rooster you use carries the lavender gene, some chick may hatch lavender as well. Sometimes it's hard to tell blue and lavender chicks apart if you are not familiar with, that is why it is preferred to use black instead of blue in a lavender breeding project.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes it is okay, if you choose only the black splits from the mating. Choosing blue splits will give you a world of trouble in the future.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can- you will not get any lavender, but splits. Be sure to band/mark any offspring and keep them out of future blue, black splash breeding programs. They'll be fine to work on lavenders though.

5. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Poultrycrazy mom,
    You have to use the best that you have at the time. All the old experience breeders will tell you that. I would keep the best offsprings no matter what color they are. You can tell the difference with experience wether they are lavenders or lavenders with one blue gene. Just remember not to sell them to someone just starting out or you will confuse them totally. That is why they tell you not to use blues because it does get somewhat confusing. Oh, there is nothing as pretty as a lavender rooster carrying one blue gene.

PM me and I will send you a picture of a blue lavender rooster that looks like an Orpington and not an Australorp.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I call it a mess. Will take generations to get it back to where it belongs.

7. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Can someone post pics of a lav with one copy of the blue gene? I ordered some "pure" lav eggs. I know one of the roos is a blue. I thought maybe it was just mistakenly added from the wrong pen. I thought the rest were lavs, however one of the hens head is pretty dark unlike the others and I noticed that another hen is getting some dark patterning on her back. I'm wondering if maybe these are from a blue x lav cross??? Total novice here, may be completely off base. But if anyone has any pictures or can tell me what to look for to determine if these two lav hens are carrying a blue gene, I would greatly appreciate it.

I should add here that the one blue rooster is much bigger and orpingtonier (yes I know that is not a word) than any of the others, so that seems to support the theory that they are not related, just a misplaced egg. Still, the darker coloration on the hens has me concerned ...

Thanks, everybody! [​IMG]

PS I think that the blue and the lavender are both GORGEOUS! [​IMG]

8. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    cuckooformarans,
    A lavender hen with one blue gene is much lighter than a average lavender hen. Yours sound like they are blues split possibly. Look on the Orp posts for blue hens and see if they resemble them. A lavender male with one blue gene has a lavender body with a lighter cape over the head area thru than a normal blue. In the sun it does resemble somewhat of a purplish lavender color at different angles. Sorry, I can only send you a picture of the blue male from my regular email. I am not a computer geek.

9. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
  10. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] You know, I feel like a total dummy... blue is a diluter and lavender is a diluter ... so a bird with both will be more diluted ... wow... thank you, shaffer. And thank you so much for posting the Australian site.. As you can tell, I am just starting to learn about the color genetics. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by