1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender Marans Breeding Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sniper338, Jan 1, 2016.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lavender Marans - how do you go about breeding lavenders for darker egg color?

Black split - what is a black split?

Black split breeding ratio?

I want and need to learn this stuff, but cant get my hands on straight info on how to go about it all.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I can't specifically speak to the breeding of Marans for better egg color, although I imagine using males who hatched from the darkest eggs over females who laid the darkest eggs would be a good start.

When it comes to Lavender a black split is a bird who carries Lavender but does not show it, and so will appear pure black.

Breedings would be:

Lavender x Lavender: 100% Lavender

Lavender x Black (or another color, but other colors might result in color leakage): 100% Black split for Lavender

Black split x Black split: 25% Lavender, 50% Black split, 25% Black

Black split x Lavender: 75% Lavender, 25% Black split

3. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

In your explaination... the first is roo, second is hen right?

As in the last example... black split ROO X lavender HEN = 75% lavender and 25% black split?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by