Lavender Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emrldgrn1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. emrldgrn1

emrldgrn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Vass, NC
    I want to try to breed a true english OR french standard Lavender Marans line. Advice as to what breeds and colors to cross to accomplish this? Im very excited about working on this and am open to ALL advice anyone can provide. And advice as to where to best get my starter stock. Thanks a million

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well its a fun idea lots and lots of work though good luck I would use one of hinkjc's project lavender orphs as they are the only other brown egg layers that come in lavender that I know of. I think it would also be ideal to use plain black Marans to make this happen. It would take tons of work and I am not an expert but I think it would be hard to regain egg color after the outcross you would have to do tons of hatching and culling to make this happen but that is true with any project.

Good Luck,
    Henry

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Sounds like a fun project. We had thought about doing the same thing with our lavender project birds.

Good luck!

Jim and Kaye

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe there are a few already attempting this or going to attempt it with marans .. stock has went out all over for other breed projects..

Cant wait, in the next years ahead we shall see many large fowl breeds sporting lavender, porcelain, butter colors..

I'm glad we could help supply large fowl lavenders to folks who want to work on projects..I wish all the very best to all in there work ahead..[​IMG]

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by