lavender mixed with buff genetic question

1Chick Magnet

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I have a lavender split silkie rooster. black with red in the hackles. I am thinking of breeding him to a nice light buff showgirl. anyone have any idea what color the chicks would be?

Well, if he has red on his body, he's likely not a true Split, so, it depends on what he was crossed with to get that red in him to tell ya what you'd get crossed to a Buff colored bird.

Chances are, the offspring will turn out mostly buff in color but with something else going on, such as penciling, patterning, a black tail or necklace, etc. Really depends.

If he did truly have a solid black parent x lavender parent, chances are your offspring will just be mostly black with golden-brown markings throughout the body, mostly the breast though, or the birds will be mostly dun in color with golden brown markings.

It sounds like he is black with gold leakage, which says nothing for or against a lavender parent.

About half his offspring will inherit lav and the other half will not; there is no way to tell which ones do and which ones do not. Assuming there is no lav in the buff's background, the result will be the same as in crossing a black to a buff. The e-alleles present in both parents will determine more than anything else what offspring are possible, since black an be built o most, it is really hard to give a completely accurate answer.

Try playing with the chicken calculator.

the egg for my roo was hatched by a byc member. I have not used him yet. I do have a lavender silkie hen. I figure if I hatch some chicks from them I will find out if he really is a lav split. the buff show girl is of my breeding. I have seen photos of isabella silkies and love the color. If I remember correctly they were a cross between lavander and buff.
sonoran silkies--what color is the silkie in your avatar? she is beautiful
love.gif

there is no lav in the background of the buff.
where do I find the chicken calculator?

It sounds like he is black with gold leakage, which says nothing for or against a lavender parent.

About half his offspring will inherit lav and the other half will not; there is no way to tell which ones do and which ones do not. Assuming there is no lav in the buff's background, the result will be the same as in crossing a black to a buff. The e-alleles present in both parents will determine more than anything else what offspring are possible, since black an be built o most, it is really hard to give a completely accurate answer.

Try playing with the chicken calculator.

thanks everybody. you guys are all so nice and helpful. I really appreciate all the help and advice you guys give me. I love genetics and making new colors but my eyes kind of glaze over when I try to comprehend all the written explaniations. I am good with breed this one to that one and you get what you want. lol thanks again.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom