Lavender OEGB??? Question Answered Thanks!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pamperedpoultry, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Is there even a such thing? If so how did they come about and does anyone have pic's. I've also heard people say that lavenders are really self blue???

Thanks for the fast responses.. I was thinking Self blue and lavender was the the same thing.. Now I know..[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Self-blue and lavender are the same thing (at least in the US); blue is an entirely different, unrelated gene.

Self-blue is the name of the variety, at least as listed in the APA & ABA standards; lavender is the name of the gene. There is a move towards calling the variety lavender, especially in breeds where it is not yet recognised. However, I'm pretty sure self-blue is a recognised variety for OEGB, so calling them lavender makes no sense.

You cannot get self-blue or lavender from blue. IFF the blue bird ALSO carries lavender, and if the other parent does as well, you may get some lavender chicks--but this has nothing to do with the blue.

4. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Here is a pic of my self blue oegb
    Mine have been breeding true.

[​IMG]

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Ok, so the self blues are lavender... that answers my question.. I've had Self Blue OEGB, I have a few chicks now. Didnt know if there was a difference in the 2.. Thanks!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Self-blue does breed true; it is blue that does not.

7. opal oe

opal oe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North central Okla.
    Yes Lavender is self blue you can look at pics of self blue on the OEGB web site

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by