Lavender Orp hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckfan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Hatched six out of seven Lav Orps and two out of five mixed chicks. The last one id drying out. I had a Maran egg that pipped but then nothing for 30 hrs. The last egg was pipped but then I was able to see that the membrane was dried out!!!! Hummidity levels had dropped. Needless to say I HAD to help this chick out. The membrance was tough. The little guy was pooped but ok. I don't think he would have hatched on his own. Back to the Maran egg...I left it alone, and lost that chick. Membrane again was dry but also the vent seemed to be enlarged, abnormal looking. I made sure that the water pots were filled to the correct level before lockdown. The bator next to it, same kind a Brinsea Mini Advanced had no such problems. all in all for my first hatch I am happy. The chicks look great! Now to watch them grow and see what have! The two mixed chicks look like buff orps but the roo was a bantam cochin frizzle. There are many other possibilities including a Swedish Flower Roo , so I will just have to wait and see. Would really be cool to have Frizzle Orps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by