1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender Orp Sexing help please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksbratton, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ksbratton

ksbratton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2015
    Vandalia, OH
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is supposed to be a sexed lavender Orpington pullet. She is 7 wks old. Please assure me that she is a she and try not to make me cry. I already have one mis-sexed chick already [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I'm going with cockerel. A hen would not have any red in the face at that age. Sorry!

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Don't give up yet as Orpingtons are tricky. Some breeders rely solely on the development of sex feathers and do not rely on combs or wattles as indicators (though my boys were sprouting wattles at 2 and a half weeks). There's a Lavender Orpington Thread that near the end has photos comparing 6 week old cockerels and pullets. Or post on that thread for more expert opinions.

4. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    There is no hope. Sorry to tell you. It is a roo.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I believe it's a cockerel also

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm leaning more toward cockeral too, but don't give up hope entirely. Her body shape seems more hen-ish to me. Orpingtons can be buggers.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, cockerel.

Slow maturing cockerels can be mistaken for pullets, but birds this young with that much comb and wattles are cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by