Lavender Orpington Chick seems weak and I hesitate to put her in with broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toetwo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Toetwo

Toetwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi,
    I ordered 4 chicks from MyPetChicken. They arrived today. Three are perky and fluffy. The orpington is smaller and seems weaker. She was fluffy then got all clumsy in the water. Her feathers have dried to her and she just seems tired. The others are eating and chirping. She is chirping--loudest of the bunch--but not seeming to eat much. I worry as I am going to put them in with our (five weeks) broody hen tonight. I don't want the mother to do anything to this little one. Granted, there's no guarantee she will take to any of them….

Suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Toe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    I will just share with you what happened to me.

I had a broody sitting on chicks. Hatch day came and it was super hot that day. I was working that day so I couldnt be there. When I got home I rushed down to the coop and there was a baby laying face down covered in ants! I thought she was dead but then she moved. I quickly got a towel and held her in it while I gently tried to get the ants off her and squish them dead in the towel at the same time. I swear it took me a half hour at least. I put her in a box with a heat lamp and let her rest, she wasnt getting up at first. Then after a few hours she stood up and started to chirp. She looked much better. So that night I decided to return her to the broody mama. I wish I hadnt. She was squished and dead in the morning. I felt that if I had just kept her a day or two in the little recovery box she would of made it. If it were me I would brood her somewhere where she can get her strength up before putting her in with mama.
    Good luck,[​IMG]
    Marie

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

ETA,
    I would put them all in together with mama after she perks up. I have given my broodys chicks that were almost a week old with no problem.
    good luck.

4. Toetwo

Toetwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    THank you both! I read your emails and decided to keep them for another night. I think they must have pulled her shell away too soon or something. She looks premie. But a sturdy tyke and tonight I hope their waiting mother will adopt them all. Thank you, thank you for your responses.
    Toe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by