Lavender Orpington crossed with Lavender Araucana?

Cluckeryduckery

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2021
Would crossing the two produce blue egg laying lavenders? Wondering about both ways, I have hens and roosters of both breeds, would using the araucana rooster be better to pass the blue egg gene? If anyone has done this I’d love to see pics! Thanks!

AusHen

Crowing
Jun 21, 2018
QLD Australia
Chicks will be Lavender. if using a pure Araucana that has two copies of the blue gene all daughters will lay a light green egg, that's because they will have the blue gene + the brown pigments from the Orpington. if you get any chicks that lay a cream egg it means the Araucana you used may not be pure or at least only has one copy of the blue gene.. it doesn't matter which parent is the Araucana as the blue egg gene is dominant

Cluckeryduckery

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2021
Chicks will be Lavender. if using a pure Araucana that has two copies of the blue gene all daughters will lay a light green egg, that's because they will have the blue gene + the brown pigments from the Orpington. if you get any chicks that lay a cream egg it means the Araucana you used may not be pure or at least only has one copy of the blue gene.. it doesn't matter which parent is the Araucana as the blue egg gene is dominant
Thanks!! I’m looking forward to giving it a go 😀

Top Bottom