Lavender Orpington gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambergds, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    My broody hatch 4 lavender Orpington chicks for me. One I know is a cockerel and one I know is a pullet. The third is confusing me. She/he has feathered slow, but is small bodied and small legs, has a small comb and wattles but recently I'm noticing red below the feather in her/his face. Any Orpington experts want to tell me what I've got?
    Chick in question
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cockerel sibling
    [​IMG]

Pullet sibling
    [​IMG]

2. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It looks like a pullet to me. Lavendar orpingtons are awesome!

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    How old? Looks like a slower developing cockerel to me... common when there's a dominant boy...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking cockerel. He's young yet and Orps can be slow to mature, especially the non-buff varieties.

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Don't give up hope just yet. Here's our little blue girl at a month old, and again at 6 weeks. As you can see (and like you) I was a little concerned but her comb and wattles have not changed in the last three weeks (she's almost 7 weeks old now and they still look the same). She too has tiny feet and delicate legs. Our boys all have huge combs and wattles (and tree trunks for legs), our other three girls all look like this girl. If those wattles drop before 12 weeks then you can be sure its a boy but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm with RavynFallen & done, cockerel but like JaeG I've had Orpingtons & they are slow developing.
    Comb/wattle & slow feathering makes me side with cockerel. However JaeG is right, it all depends on the age too, how old is yours?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm feeling optimistic - pullet

8. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    They are 6 weeks. A lot could change in the next couple of weeks. If cockerel, how do you decide which one to keep?

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel

10. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Do let us know what it turns out to be as it could be of help to someone else searching for answers. You could post it on the 'Lavender Orpington Thread' (not the one with a ! at the end of the thread title) for more opinions or on page 166 on that thread someone has posted their birds at 6 weeks old showing comb and wattle development. They could advise you on which boy to keep if you end up with more than one as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by