Lavender Orpington Hatch Question

smoore7489

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
Hi everyone!! I have some Lavender Orpingtons who hatched some eggs a few months ago and there was a 99% hatch rate! Well, yesterday I notice one momma decided to go broody again and is laying on some more.
Last batch of chicks were mixed breed and I have decided for them to be my barnyard mix. Well, this hatch will be 100% lavender orpingtons as I only have one rooster this time and I know for sure she's only laying on her eggs.
My question is this: My lavender Orpington rooster is mottled. (Has some white feathers) I know with the bar gene, like in barred rocks, the chicks will always have barred feathers. Will these chicks all be mottled? Does it work like the bar gene?

Not if it is really mottling and the hen does not have the mottling gene. The barred gene is dominant but the mottling gene is recessive. Both parents have to have the mottling gene for the offspring to have it.

If your rooster shows mottling, then he has two mottling genes and will give one to all his offspring. If your hen shows mottling then she also has two mottling genes so all the offspring from that cross will be mottled. If the hen dos not show mottling she might have one mottling gene, she may have none. If she has one mottling gene then about half the offspring will be mottled. If she has no mottling genes then none of the offspring will be mottled.

Thank you!
I'm unsure if the hen has any mottling gene as I don't know who her parents were. So, I'm going to just expect half of them to be mottled.
This is real exciting for me as Lavender Orpingtons are my favorite breed! I've been waiting for this day for a year now.
Anyways, thanks for your help! Cant wait to see how they turn out

Thank you!
I'm unsure if the hen has any mottling gene as I don't know who her parents were. So, I'm going to just expect half of them to be mottled.
This is real exciting for me as Lavender Orpingtons are my favorite breed! I've been waiting for this day for a year now.
Anyways, thanks for your help! Cant wait to see how they turn out
**I guess I should state the broody hen doesnt show any mottling. She is just lavender colored. But, she may or may not have the 1 mottling gene.
I do however have another hen who does have mottling so I am hoping she decides to hatch out some more mottled orpingtons for me. I love how they look!

Back
Top Bottom